PEG Writing provides tools for each step in the writing process, from prewriting to editing. Use the links on the left to learn how to select a prompt, utilize a graphic organizer, and write and revise an essay.
Selecting a Prompt
- To begin writing, click the Practice tab.
- Select a prompt based on what your teacher has assigned or choose a prompt that interests you. Any prompts recommended by your teacher will be listed in the Recommended by your Teacher section.
- Click the prompt title. Read the prompt carefully and view any links or files provided. Decide if you would like to plan your writing using an online graphic organizer or begin typing a draft of your essay.
- Click the Prewriting button to select and complete a graphic organizer or click the Begin Writing button to start entering your writing into the text box to be scored.
- If you choose the Prewriting option, you will have access to a variety of graphic organizers. NOTE: Graphic organizers are not available for constructed response prompts.
- To access a printable version, click the organizer and click the Printable Version button.
- To complete an organizer online, double-click the selected organizer. Text can be written directly into the organizer.
- When you have completed your organizer, click Next to begin writing your essay. The organizer will appear above the writing box. If you are not ready to begin writing, you can save the organizer and the text you have entered by clicking Save and Quit.
Writing an Essay
- To begin and submit your writing, you can type text directly into the writing box, copy and paste text from the graphic organizer, or copy and paste text from another document.
- At any point, you are able to leave a message for your teacher. Just scroll down to the bottom of any page (graphic organizer, draft, score report) under Messages, and leave a message or comment, then click Post Message.
- If at any time you wish to stop working, click Save and Quit.
- Once you are finished with your essay, click Submit. Within seconds, the draft will be scored and a Score Report will be displayed.