The peer review tool allows students to improve their writing through feedback about their essays from peers. Your teacher will put students into groups before this tool can be used. Most groups consist of two to five students, selected randomly. The students in your group will write a review of your writing if you request a peer review.
Requesting a Peer Review
- You can request a peer review from members of your group for one draft per essay.
- When you are ready for your essay to be read by your peer group, click the Request button under the Peer Review section of the Score Report. An icon will appear to confirm that the request has been sent.
Receiving a Peer Review
- Group members who have been sent a peer review request will receive immediate notification upon logging in to the course.
- Requests for a peer review will appear at the top of the group member's course home page.
- If this message appears for you, scroll down below the Student Writing History to the Pending Peer Reviews table. The table contains the date of the request, the title of the prompt, and the name of the author requesting the review.
Completing a Peer Review
- To complete a peer review of the essay, click the Prompt Date.
- Read the prompt and the author's essay carefully. Then, enter two "stars", or strengths of the essay and one "wish", or suggestion for improvement, in the designated comment boxes.
- When you submit the review, the message on your Course Home page will disappear and the author will be notified.
2 Stars and a Wish Guide
The 2 Stars and a Wish Guide provides an explanation of how students can use the "2 Stars and a Wish" method to evaluate a peer's essay. It provides guiding questions to be considered by the reviewer.
The 2 Stars and a Wish Sentence Starters provide ideas to help students start completing a peer review.
Accessing a Peer Review
- To read the reviewer's comments, go to the Course Home page and click the Date link for the essay that was reviewed.
- When the Score Report is displayed, find the draft version displaying the peer review icon to the right.
- Click on this draft and scroll down below the essay to see the completed reviews within the Score Report.
- Students can also access reviewer comments through the Portfolio tab. Click on the Portfolio tab and then click the Peer Review link in the Usage section to see a record of all peer reviews given and received.
- Find the title of the essay that was reviewed and click the Date link next to the essay name.